It needs a sequel.
I admit it. I left the series at something of a cliffhanger with Shadowbane: Eye of Justice. What happens to Kalen? Does Ilira take her vengeance? Which of her dear friends does Myrin choose? And what’s the checkmate move in Lilten and Kirenkirsalai’s game?
Well, the story continues in the next novel, which I am currently planning and will write in the next year.
Working title? Shadowbane: Kingdom of Night
Which means exactly what you’re thinking: Night Masks.
The question at this point is, how do we make it happen?
Wizards has not contracted me to publish this next (final?) book in the series, and I have no guarantee such a thing will happen in the face of all their investiture in the Sundering event. They’ve assured me I’m at the top of their list to publish when they’re able, but that’s pretty nebulous.
I came to the realization that the series needs an ending, or at least a point that COULD BE the end. Shadowbane: Eye of Justice isn’t the end. I know what the end is–I have it so vividly in my mind I can taste it, and if you like the series, you will want it. I promise.
And that’s what I’m writing. The end, or at least “an” end.
What I’m asking from you, readers and fans, is to help me make it all happen.
I’ll meet you halfway. I’m writing the book. It’s happening. But until WotC actually publishes it, I can’t get it to you guys. I’m the only one who will know how the story ends. It’s not that I won’t, it’s that I CAN’T. Legally can’t.
Which is why I need your help.
How do you do it, you ask?
Here are 5 simple ways you can support me (or any author you like!). Support my work, and it makes it more likely it will happen.
1) Talk Me Up: Tell your friends, family, gaming group, etc. Tell them that you love this Shadowbane story and tell them why you think they should check it out. The more popular it is, the more WotC stands to gain by continuing it.
2) P0st Reviews: Aside from word of mouth, this is the single most effective publicity tool. Post reviews on Amazon, the Wizards Community: Future Releases section, the Wizards Bookclub, Candlekeep Novels section,Goodreads, etc. Better yet, post the same review on ALL OF THEM.
See the post I wrote on crafting Book Reviews!
3) “Like” my Books or “Agree” with my Tags: Simple. Just go on Amazon, look up one of my books (see the links here), and click wherever it says “Like” on whatever social network you like (or all of them). Scroll down to where there are tags (like “sword & sorcery,” “fantasy,” etc.) and “agree” with them–this helps people find my book on Amazon.
4) Voice your Support on Social Network sites: If you’re on facebook, “like” my author page. If you’re on twitter, follow me (@erikscottdebie). Watch for updates, retweet or like them. Easy.
5) Buy My Books! Buy copies for yourself, friends, relatives, total strangers, etc. The more copies move, the more WotC sees the series as a valuable investment.
I can guarantee you that if 50,000 copies of Shadowbane: Eye of Justice get downloaded tomorrow (maybe just 10,000), WotC will come beating down my door, though that’s a lot to ask of one person. Fortunately, there are lots of you wonderful readers out there. And every sale helps!
As a start, how about participating in International Downshadow Day?
November 1st, download a copy of my novel, Downshadow, for yourself or a friend, relative, gamer buddy, etc. And if you’ve already read it and can’t think of anyone who hasn’t, post a review!
So how about it? Help me out?
There’s a really awesome story in it for you.
P.S. Is this next novel the end of the story?
Well, as I said, I have no guarantee WotC wants to continue publishing the series. They’ll do so as long as it’s popular/profitable. If we can make it so, then it will be so. I love these characters and this story, and I can keep writing about them forever.
I will keep writing the stuff you love until the last breath leaves my body. I swear it.